2023 - 11-13 Age Category
~ For the spinach ravioli dough ~
2 large free-range eggs
2 tbsp olive oil
400g Italian ‘00’ flour
~ For the butternut squash ravioli filling ~
500g butternut squash
3 tsp olive oil
Sea salt flakes
1⁄2 small red onion
Freshly grated nutmeg to serve
~ For the saffron butter ~
Large pinch dried saffron
150g unsalted butter
~ To serve ~
1. Put the spinach in a large pan covered with a lid, then gently cook for 1-2 minutes until it starts to wilt. Stir so all the leaves wilt, then drain in a colander, using a wooden spoon to push out any excess moisture. Put the leaves in a clean tea towel, gather up the sides and squeeze out as much water as possible. Then roughly chop.
2. Whizz the spinach in the food processor briefly, then add the eggs and oil and whizz again until smooth. Add the flour, whizzing again until the mixture comes together to form a firm dough. Knead briefly until smooth and silky.
3. Wrap the dough and leave it to rest for 20 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
5. For the filling, place the chopped butternut squash pieces and thinly sliced onion into a large bowl, drizzle over three teaspoons of olive oil and stir to coat. Season to taste, with a couple of pinches of salt and black pepper and stir again. Place the pieces of butternut squash and onion into a roasting tray, and roast in the oven for 18 – 20 minutes.
6. Once the butternut squash and onion has roasted, blend them to a thick, smooth purée using a hand-held blender. Put in the fridge to cool. Once cool stir in the grated pecorino and a little nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Next roll out the pasta dough using a pasta roller until you get to the thickness of 5. Then using a ravioli cutter cut about 12 pieces. Divide the cooled butternut squash filing between 6 of the cut-out ravioli pieces and dab the edges with water and place another ravioli piece on top.
8. To make the saffron butter, put the saffron in a large pan and toast gently for 30 seconds. Then add the butter and leave until it starts to foam then take off the heat.
9. To cook the ravioli bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the ravioli and cook for 2-3 minutes and drain.
10. Serve with salad and pour the saffron butter on top and grate parmesan on top of the ravioli.