2018 ASPIRING STUDENT CHEF FINALIST: REGAN TAUNTON
Roasted Partridge with a Sherry & Wild Mushroom Jus served with Hickory Smoked Mash
"At college we were cooking partridge; and I thought I could do a dish with partridge and look at other game recipes but I came back to partridge because it came back as my preferred option."
2 x 100g portions pork fillet
4 silver skin onions
200g of Alsace bacon
500ml of red wine
500ml of ruby port
10ml of Jerez vinegar
50ml of Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar
4 mixed baby beets
200g sea purslane
50 g girolles
1 tsp soya lecithin
1 block unsalted butter
1 punnet pea shoots
1 garlic bulb
1 bunch thyme
2 pints chicken stock
1 Savoy cabbage
Salt and pepper 4 mixed baby beets
1. Prep partridge, remove wish bone, remove legs, and crown the breast. Comfit down legs in duck fat.
2. Brown off mirepoix vegetables and carcass deglaze with sherry, add partridge stock and allow to cook out for 1 hour.
3. Wash peel and boil potatoes for mash.
4. Celeriac peel and cook in vegetable stock.
5. Prepare squash and roast with celery and garlic.
6. Shred and butter leeks.
7. Prepare wild mushrooms, dice, slice and leave whole.
8. Chop shallots for sauce and nugget then place some onto roast/braise Sweat shallots and mushroom and a little garlic for nuggets.
9. Dice partridge thigh and add to duxelle.
10. Add chopped tarragon then season.
11. Cool slightly and shape into balls.
12. Place in fridge to set.
13. Prepare pane mix.
14. Seal and roast partridge.
15. Sweat shallots and mushroom for sauce.
16. Add sherry then reduce.
17. Pass partridge stock and add to mushroom and shallots. Reduce to correct consistency.
18. Then correct seasoning.
19. Finish mash.
20. Finish celeriac puree. Pane the nugget.
21. Remove partridge from oven and allow to rest, deep fry nugget.
22. Then set up all components for finishing your plate.
23. Plate finish and serve Partridge dish.