About the Recipe
Prior to COVID-19 my fiance and I travelled around Japan for 2 weeks. Having sampled all that Japan has to offer, I can safely say Japanese food is one of my favourite cuisines. These recipes were inspired by that trip and chosen to invoke memories of beautiful Japan from London lockdown.
x2 duck breast (I use Gressingham)
150g sticky rice - this will do a nice job of soaking up the sauce!
- ½ cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- ½ carrot, diced into half centimetre cubes
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced - I like to use homemade soy sauce pickled garlic
- 1 red chilli, halved lengthways and sliced
- 2 eggs
- Optional extra: Carrots pickled in spicy soy sauce at home, 6 batons
- 1 tbsp. mirin
- 4 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
- 2 garlic clove, crushed
- 5 tbsp., water
Side dish of Stir Fried Veg
- 1-2 handfuls baby corn, halved lengthways
- 1 large carrot, julienned lengthways
- 1-2 handfuls mangetout, ends trimmed
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- Pinch of salt, ground black pepper and chilli flakes
Set the oven to 180°C fan or gas mark 4.
Chop all the stir fried veg and toppings then set aside.
Pan fry the duck skin-side down for 5 minutes and seal the edges for 1 minute.
Meanwhile, add all the sauce ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a simmer, ensuring the sugar dissolves. You can add more water depending on how thick you’d like the sauce to be.
Put the duck in the oven for 8-10 minutes depending on cooking preferences.
Boil the vegetables for the stir fried veg side dish for 2 minutes.
Just before you get the duck out of the oven: a) put the rice on to boil and b) heat a frying pan or wok on a medium high heat with sesame oil, add the boiled veg, season and fry until slightly browned.
Remove the duck from the oven and rest for 5-10 minutes.
When the rice is done, drain and add to your bowls.
Fry the eggs on a high heat to get nice crispy edges and a runny yolk.
While the eggs are frying, slice the duck and place on top of the rice.
Add your toppings and the fried eggs to your rice bowls.
Drizzle over the sauce.
Serve the stir fried veg in a side bowl to share.