1. Teriyaki Chicken: Chicken Thigh Fillets
x 2, Shoyu x 30 ml
Mirin x 30 ml
Japanese Sake (rice wine)x 30 ml
Brown Sugar x 10g
Sunflower Oil x 30 ml
2. Steamed Rice: Japanese sushi
(short grain) rice x 300g.
Water x 400ml.
3. Miso Soup:
Water x 750ml
Tofu (silken) x 1/2 pack
Miso x 50g
Wakame x 2 pinches
1 x small pack of katsuobushi (dried tuna flakes)
4. Carrot & Apple Salad:
Carrots x 4.
Pink lady apple x1
Extra Virgin Olive Oil x 30 ml
White Wine Vinegar x 15 ml
Raisins x small handful.
Asparagus Spears x 10
Olive oil x 30 ml
Shoyu x 30 ml
1. Prepare the rice: Wash the rice thoroughly until the water is clear. Put the washed rice into a heavy pan and add the water. Put a lid on the pan.
2. Prepare and make the salad: Whisk the extra virgin olive oil and white wine vinegar together in a small cup and add the raisins. Core the apple, slice and put into a salad bowl with the dressing. Peel the carrots, grate them and add to the salad. Mix well.
3. Prepare the chicken, teriyaki sauce, tofu, and asparagus: Take the chicken out of the fridge. Chop the tofu into 1.5cm squares. Wash the asparagus and cut off the bottom 2cm of each spear. Prepare the teriyaki sauce in a small cup by mixing the shoyu, mirin and brown sugar.
4. Prepare and make the miso soup: Boil the water in a kettle, pour into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the katsuobushi pack, simmer for 7 minutes and remove the katsuobushi pack. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and add the miso in a sieve, dissolve with wooden chopsticks or spoon. Add the tofu then the wakame. Remove from the heat and put a lid on the saucepan. 5. Cook the rice: Put the rice pan onto the hob and bring to a boil, simmer for 20 minutes then remove from the heat for at least 10 minutes.
6. Cook the asparagus: Heat a frying pan with the olive oil. Put the asparagus into the frying pan and fry for 2 minutes then add the shoyu, turn down the heat slightly and cook for a further 3 minutes.
7. Cook the chicken: Heat a large frying pan and add the sunflower oil. Cut the chicken thighs in half and add to the pan. Fry the thighs for 3 minutes until browned, turn over and fry for a further 3 minutes until browned. Add the sake and put a lid on the frying pan, turn down the heat and steam for 3 minutes. Add the teriyaki sauce (step 3 above) and steam with the lid on for 3 minutes. Reheat the miso soup gently but do not boil.
8. Plating up: Pour the miso soup into a miso soup bowl or similar soup bowl. Add two large scoops of rice onto a large plate, arrange the chicken thighs and asparagus next to it and drizzle with teriyaki sauce. Put the salad bowl and miso soup bowl on the table. Enjoy!