ASPIRING STUDENT CHEF FINALIST: EMILY BUCKNAL
Poached Fillet of Beef with Braised Potato, Caramelised Onion Tart, Crispy Shallots, Buttered Asparagus, Red Wine Jus & Chive Oil
"I have taken the classic roast beef flavours and used them in my dish whilst keeping the beef as the star, sweetness from roast onions, earthiness from the asparagus and a classic British vegetable, richness from the beef jus and the beautiful local beef."
Fillet of Leicestershire long horn beef
1 bunch of fine Asparagus
1 bunch chives
2 English onions
1 Punnet of Atsina Cress
1 packet of puff pastry (homemade)
250 ml cold press olive oil
1. Remove sinue and fat from beef, rub in butter, season and vac pac, place in a water bath 60-65 minutes.
2. Prepare the potato, cut to shape, place in beef stock to half cover, cover with foil, braise in the oven.
3. Slice the onions and sweat off, lower the heat and cook slowly to allow the natural sugars to brown the onions.
4. Roll out the pastry, dock the pasty, brush with egg wash, place the onions on top, bake in a low oven until pastry is cooked.
5. Slice the shallots, coat in seasoning and set aside.
6. Place chives and seasoning in the oil, place in the thermo mixer, blend until smooth, pass through muslin cloth, place in a bottle.
7. Take the potato out of the stock, brush with meat glaze, place in a pan with a little chive oil to colour and seal.
8. Remove the beef from the water bath, place in a pan and base with foaming butter, season. Place on a cloth to rest.
9. Remove the tart from the oven, trim sides.
10. Fry the shallot rings until crispy, drain off and season.
11. Dress the plate as per the photo.