LESLEY WATERS COOKERY SCHOOL
This quick and easy tart really sums up all that is great about summer fruits. Their colour and taste are like a burst of sunshine and we could all do with some of that. Serve this cut into squares on a beautiful wooden board and watch it disappear before your very eyes.
375g (13oz) ready-rolled puff pastry
300g (10 ½ oz) blueberries
300g (10 ½ oz) raspberries
For the frangipane:
100g (3 ½ oz) butter
100g (3 ½ oz) caster sugar
1 egg & 1 egg yolk, beaten together
100g (3 ½ oz) ground almonds
2 tablespoons flour
Icing sugar to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F / Gas Mark 6. Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking parchment.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry very thinly into a rectangle approx. 36cm x 24cm. Transfer to the lined baking tray.
3. For the frangipane, in a bowl beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well between each addition. Fold in the almonds and flour and mix.
4. Using a flat bladed knife, carefully spread the frangipane in a thin, even layer to cover the pastry base. Scatter the berries all over the frangipane and lightly push in.
5. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the tart is golden and cooked. Dust the cooked tart with icing sugar and serve warm or at room temperature.