2020 KEEN HOME COOK FINALIST: KATIE DAVIES
Cherry Chocolate Bombe
"I chose the chocolate bombe as it looks super impressive and tastes like heaven but is simple to make!"
60g caster sugar
45g plain flour
15g cocoa powder
For the kirsch simple syrup
100g caster sugar
For the Mousse
100g dark chocolate
50g milk chocolate
2 large free range eggs
4 x cherries
4 tbsps. double cream
For the mirror glaze
100ml double cream
90g caster sugar
40g cocoa powder
2 gelatine leaves
Gold dust (optional)
For the sponge:
1. Preheat the oven to 170 C.
2. Lightly grease and line the cake tin.
3. In a large bowl whisk the eggs until white and foamy. Slowly add the sugar and beat.
4. Sift together the flour and cocoa powder in a separate bowl, carefully fold in the egg mixture then fold through the melted butter.
5. Pour into the cake tin, bake until risen and firm to the touch. Approx. 8 mins. 6. Once cooled cut the sponge into circles with a cutter.
For the simple syrup:
1. Dissolve the sugar in the cold water.
2. Bring the boil.
3. Just before using add the kirsch to taste.
4. Use the syrup to moisten the sponge.
For the Mousse:
1. Pit the cherries and soak in kirsch.
2. Melt 150g of the chocolate over simmering water.
3. Beat the egg yolks and kirsch, then gently mix into the melted chocolate with 2 tbsps. of cream.
4. Whisk the egg whites to firm peaks.
5. Fold the egg whites through the chocolate mixture.
6. Pipe into the mould, push a pitted cherry into the mouse, add the sponge disc, and then freeze, for about 2 hours.
7. Once frozen remove from the mould (rub a hot spoon over the mould to loosen), and cover with mirror glaze.
8. Sprinkle with gold dust.
For the mirror glaze:
1. Combine the water, cream, sugar, cocoa powder in a saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil.
3. Soften gelatin in cold water.
4. Add the gelatin to the pan and whisk.
5. Cool to room temperature before using.