2019 KEEN YOUNG COOK FINALIST: JULIA ANIOLA
Apple Autumn 'on a plate'
"Currently it is Autumn and one of the seasonal fruits is apple, which I have chosen. I wanted to make a seasonal dish to celebrate the Autumn and the joys its brings. Then I thought of the different techniques I should include in the dish. My main idea was to bring Autumn to the plate and I chose to celebrate apples as my main ingredient in each component. For this purpose, I decided on a trio that combines delicate meringue, spongy texture with flavours of cinnamon and the lightness and freshness of apple cream combined with a crisp brandy snap."
Apple Amber: 2 large apples
100ml water (+ 50g sugar for meringue)
1 lemon zest
Apple Sponge: 20g sultanas
1/2 tsp cinnamon
50g self-raising flour
50g caster sugar
dried apple garnish
Apple Syllabub: 75ml apple juice
1 tsp honey
3 ginger brandy snaps (made separately)
BOWL 1 : apples, lemon zest and ONE egg yolk
BOWL 2 : apples & sultanas (for Apple Sponge)
1. Peel and cube apples.
2. Add to saucepan with 50g sugar and 100ml water.
3. Simmer for 5-10mins.
4. Halve mixture into two bowls.
5. Separate eggs, keep one egg yolk aside.
6. Whisk egg whites, gradually add 50g caster sugar.
7. Place BOWL 1 mixture in mini frying pan.
8. Spoon over meringue and swirl.
9. Bake in hot oven 5mins to crisp meringue.
1. Spoon Bowl 2 mixture into ramekins.
2. Beat together self-raising flour, caster sugar, margarine, cinnamon and egg. until light and creamy.
3. Spoon over the ramekin mixture.
4. Bake 12-13mins @Gas 5.
1. To make the syllabub pour the cream into a large mixing bowl and start whisking with electric whisk.
2. Pour in the chilled apple juice mixture with squeeze of honey and whip up until you have soft peaks. Don’t over whisk.
3. Layer with crumbled biscuits. Garnish with mint sprig.