2019 KEEN HOME COOK WINNER: JAMES HOOPER
Roasted Duck Breasts with Orange Sauce, Roasted New Potatoes, and Broccoli with Almonds
"This is a romantic meal for two, tasting special but relatively easy to cook. The main has the richness of duck offset by the citrus sauce."
2 free range duck breasts
1 tbsp olive oil
50g golden caster sugar
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
Juice of 3 oranges (blood oranges if available), plus 2 tbsp zest in fine strips
1 shallot, finely chopped
200ml hot chicken stock
50g unsalted butter
300g new potatoes, unpeeled
Small bunch of flat leaf parsley, chopped
250g tenderstem broccoli spears
1 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
2. For the sauce, put the sugar in a pan over a high heat with 1 tbsp of water. Stir to dissolve and then boil until it becomes a golden brown caramel.
3. Stir in the vinegar, orange juice, shallot and chicken stock. Simmer until reduced to 125ml.
4. Take off the heat, add the butter and orange zest and whisk until smooth. Keep warm.
5. Score the skin of the duck breasts and season. Heat a frying pan with the olive oil over a medium heat. Sear the duck skin-side down for 2-3 minutes until the skin is golden brown. Turnover and sear for a minute. Put the duck in a roasting tin and set aside while the potatoes are fried.
6. Chop the potatoes into 2cm cubes. Fry the potatoes in hot duck fat for 8-10 minutes until almost cooked. Spoon the potatoes around the duck in the roasting tin.
7. Roast the duck breasts and fried potatoes for 8 minutes (medium rare).
8. Remove from the oven, sprinkle the parsley over the potatoes, and keep warm to rest.
9. Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the broccoli and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and refresh with cold water.
10. Season, and toss the broccoli in the duck fat in the roasting tin. Warm over a low heat.
11. When ready to serve, slice the duck breasts and put on plates with the potatoes.
12. Drizzle over the orange sauce. Top the broccoli with the almonds and serve with the duck and potatoes.