2019 KEEN HOME COOK FINALIST: BETH ROBINSON
Meatloaf Stuffed with Courgette & Cheese, Mashed Potatoes & Spicy Green Beans
"The main dishes on this menu are Italian. I chose them because they are delicious and enjoyable to eat. The main dish is also nice to look at. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at plating but my food always tastes good (at least it seems so)."
250 grams of beef mince
250 grams of veal mince
1 slice of mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
salt & pepper
1 clove garlic
5 maris piper potatoes
100 mil milk
25 g butter
25 g cream cheese (regular or garlic and herb)
Spicy Green Beans:
200 grams green beans
1 tablespoon olive oil
dash of chilli pepper flakes
1 garlic clove
1. Slice the courgette into thin slices and grill it. Afterwards, put it to one side.
2. In a bowl, add the beef and veal, the egg, 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs, the parsley leaves, crushed garlic and the salt and pepper. If the mixture is still too moist, add more breadcrumbs until it becomes firmer. It should be able to stay compact.
3. Take a baking sheet and put cling film on top. Take the meat mixture and smooth it out onto the baking paper in the form of a rectangle. The mixture should not be too thick.
4. Once you have the rectangle rolled out, add the grilled courgettes. Do not cover the entire meat rectangle with the courgettes or there will be problems while baking. Leave a border of meat without the courgettes.
5.Get the slice of mozzarella, tear it up and lay it flat on top of the courgettes. Now roll up the meat mixture slowly. Try not to break it.
6. Once you've rolled the meat, tighten the clean film around it; it should look like a candy. Put this in the fridge for 20 mins (the longer the time, the better).
7. Turn on the oven and set it to 180 degrees.
8. After you get it out of the fridge, put the meatloaf onto a pan with hot oil and fry the sides a little, to give it some colour. Afterwards, put it into the oven for 40 mins.
9. While the meatloaf is cooking, you can make your mashed potatoes. Get a pot of water boiling. While waiting for the pot to boil, peel the potatoes and cut into four pieces.
10. Once the water boils, add the potatoes. Boil for 20 minutes or until the potato can be cut with a fork. Afterwards, pour the water out and put the potatoes back on the stove.
11. Add the milk, butter, cream cheese and salt. If the mashed potatoes are too stiff, add more milk, butter or cream cheese. The potatoes should be very creamy. Add as much salt as you would like.
12. The last thing to do is to cut off the ends of the green beans and steam them for six minutes.
13. While they steam, take a pan and add the olive oil. When the olive oil is warm, add the garlic.
14. You should have the stove on medium heat. The garlic should not burn. After a minute or so, add the pepper flakes.
15. When the green beans are steamed, add them to the pan and mix around.
16. The last step is to add the zest.