2019 KEEN YOUNG COOK FINALIST: ABBY LLOYD
Black Sesame Treacle Tart with Salted Caramel Sauce, Clotted Cream, Gomashio Seasoning & Chinese Lantern garnish
"I chose this recipe because it is one of my favourite 'original' recipes to cook and to enjoy with my family. It is a modern version of a traditional treacle tart - with Asian influences."
For the pastry
225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
100g butter, chilled, diced
1 medium free-range egg, lightly beaten
Zest of ½ lemon
1tbsp black sesame seeds
For the filling
225g golden syrup
50g fresh wholemeal bread crumbs
A generous pinch ground ginger
½ lemon, zest, finely grated and 2 tbsp of the juice
For the Garnish
For the Salted Caramel Sauce
100g light muscovado sugar
1tbsp golden syrup
125ml double cream
1/2 tsp fleur de sel
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
2. In a bowl, rub the butter into the flour with your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Mix in the egg with a knife, then knead on a clean, lightly dusted work surface to form a smooth dough.
4. Use the dough to line 2 x 15cm loose-bottomed tart tin, prick the base all over with a fork and leave to rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
5. Line the pastry with parchment paper and weigh down with ceramic baking beans. Bake the pastry blind for 10-15 minutes, remove the paper and beans.
6. For the filling, mix together the filling ingredients in a bowl and pour into the pastry case. Return to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes. Serve hot or cold with clotted cream.
1. Heat sugar, butter and golden syrup.
2. Add double cream and salt. Heat through.
To serve Brush stroke the caramel sauce on plate. Place tart on plate. Add a quenelle of clotted cream drizzled with syrup and salt/sesame (Gomashio) mix. Garnish with Chinese lantern.